Monument Lab is hosting its first-ever artist residency program for Philadelphia public artists. Through the theme of “exchange,” our goal is to support emerging public artists to evolve their practice and prepare for future large-scale monument commission opportunities while building stronger relationships within and across the city’s neighborhoods.
Artists-in-residence in their early-to-mid career are encouraged to experiment with monumental materials and methods, foster relationships across Philadelphia neighborhoods, build out their portfolios with an exhibition, and join Monument Lab’s growing community of local, national, and transnational monument changemakers. Through this residency, Monument Lab seeks to contribute to the ecosystem of emerging monument changemakers and support emerging artists in growing their practice through place-based relationships.
Lead support for the Monument Lab Artist Residency is provided by the William Penn Foundation.
Two Philadelphia emerging public artists will be selected to create prototype projects that will be exhibited at the end of the year-long residency.
- $10,000 artist stipend to explore creative outlets and support experimental and engaged monumental practices.
- $20,000 production budget to create a prototype project, engage in methods of exchange with neighborhood-based organizations, and prepare for future larger scale commissions.
- $7,500 in support for neighborhood-based partners and programming
- Mentorship and wrap-around support from Monument Lab and a network of advisors.
- Field trip(s) to Monument Lab fabricators and artistic partners.
- Invitations to exclusive Monument Lab workshops, programs, and convenings throughout the residency term.
- Closing Exhibition of prototype projects in Philadelphia neighborhoods, organized by Monument Lab.
- Applications Open | July 12, 2023
- Info Session | July 26, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. EST
- In-person Resource Session | September 7, 2023 from 5:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m. EST
- Application Closes | Extended to September 13, 2023 at 9:00 a.m. EST
- Artist Residency 2024 Cohort Selected and Notified | Late November
To learn more about the program, download the Residency Project Brief
How to Apply
Please complete the online application by Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 9:00 a.m. EST. All file attachments must be in pdf format to be considered and include the following:
- CV / Resume
- Up to five (5) work samples (pdf, audio, or video format)
Following the close of applications on September 12, 2023, a jury of advisors will review and make a recommendation to Monument Lab’s leadership. Artists will be notified of their application status on November 21, 2023. The residency will begin in January 2024 and conclude in December 2024.
Please contact [email protected] for questions.