- Manage Monument Lab’s robust prospective project review and intake process in order to drive the project development process forward. Prospective projects include curatorial and/or artistic commissions, research projects, planning process, workshops, consulting, education programs, as well as media projects.
Attend preliminary prospect meetings to assess project goals, parameters, and reputation risk. Follow up for clarity and additional information with potential partners, including on costs and project scopes. Summarize and share key findings with Monument Lab leadership to review for further development and evaluate its alignment to Monument Lab’s key strategic focus areas. Coordinate supplemental information gathering meetings with external stakeholders and respective Monument Lab team members as needed.
Regularly communicate with external stakeholders during the project review process to ensure all relationships are responsibly and thoughtfully managed.
Project Development, Implementation and Oversight
- Lead the new project planning process in coordination with multiple Monument Lab team members. This includes supporting the creative concept development phase and outlining a scope of work that includes project goals, activities, deliverables, timeline and budget.
- Identify personnel and expertise needed for each project in an effort to assemble the best project team. Project teams are built with a hybrid of full-time staff, half-time staff, and project-based independent contractors. Recruit and on-board new personnel as needed.
- Draft contracts and shepherd them through the negotiation and execution process. Coordinate with Monument Lab’s executive leadership and liaise with legal and insurance representatives to ensure compliance.
- Set-up new project kick-off meetings and outline the project framework to include goals, activities, deliverables, timeline and budget.
- Develop and maintain a suite of proposal templates for all of Monument Lab’s program areas.
- Track project progress and ensure that project milestones, key deadlines, public events, and related dates are listed on Monument Lab’s internal calendars.
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation.
Project Manager Oversight
- Manage Monument Lab’s team of project-based personnel, including project managers, research associates, and related content-area specialists.
- On-board and train all project managers. Draft, review, and distribute independent contractor agreements. Review Monument Lab’s project management tools, resources and processes. Regularly communicate with and liaise with project-managers; connect them to internal resources as needed and identify potential operational and reputational risks for the organization to address.
- Develop and maintain project-management templates, checklists, tools, processes, and best-practices.
Administrative & Editorial
- Ensure that all project information is added to Monument Lab’s website to include title, description, lead images and credits.
- Write and edit public facing project descriptions as needed for publications, website, educational, and other platforms.
- Serve as the Project Lead for the Monument Lab Fellows Program, which supports independent local, ongoing projects that address long term inequities in monument building and propose new creative approaches to public art and history.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all Fellows (notification of award, deliverables, exceptions, deadlines, etc.).
- Serve as Fellows mentor in order to connect them with relevant resources that will help shape and improve their projects, enhancing and strengthening relationship to Monument Lab.
- Connect Fellows with respective members of the Monument Lab team as needed and coordinate with Fellows to help facilitate activities.
- Coordinate future Fellows calls, outreach, application processes, jury reviews, and selection processes.
- Collaborate with team to design fellowship activities, schedule, and deliverables.
- Serve as the Project Lead for Monument Lab’s internship program, which operates in three cycles throughout the year both virtually and in-person opportunities. Monument Lab’s internship program hosts approximately 20 students per, to include undergraduate and graduate students.